Thursday, July 5, 2007

My Oh my..My 3rd penang Bridge Run 2007

It was the 3rd time I ran the Penang Bridge under half marathon category ( approx .22 km) The 1st one was back in 2002, then last year and again this year on June 24-2007. I brought along my 14 yrs old son to participate in Joy Run which was only 10 km.

By the time I parked my car near the junction between E-park and USM and reached USM field, it was around 4.10 am. There was a huge crowd everywhere along the road from the junction towards USM. After submitting the registration slip at USM gate, we were given a wrist band ( yellow colour ). I waited for by running partner, Yeoh. and luckily spotted him within few minutes. We also met another friend, Ganeson before headed towards another gate at the end of the field and by that time, most of the runners are moving along the housing area towards the starting point in front of Sek. Keb. Gelugor. Inside the school compound, the women runners were waiting eagerly to start at 5.00 am.
I met 2 of my friends, Saw Sim and Lay See waiting for their turn at 5.30 am.

Exactly at 4.30 am, the siren was sounded and runners started moving. Since there were a lot of runners we could only start running after few minutes. The first 5 km into the middle span was quite easy follow by another 5-6 km from middle span to Perai Toll. The best part was, after about 7 or 8 km point, the 1st women runner overlooked us followed by police bike. It took us 70 minutes to complete the 1st portion ( from island to Perai ). By the time we made the big U turn ( and off course grabbed some drinks along the way) towards the island, the time was 5.45 am.

We went real slow for the next 8-9 km. I did swallowed a packet of my power gel and to ensure continuous supply of energy. We did overtook a lot of people and at the same time also as many people overtook us. By the time we came down from middle span towards the island, we met with runners from ‘Fun Run” group and had to carefully maneuvered around them. By then, I was dead tired. I could read the bridge signboard stated 2 Km to
Bayan Lepas and gelugor which means there is only 2-3 km from finishing line. At the same time both my running partners were ahead of me and slowly they disappeared among the crowd.

Suddenly I heard “abah’….I turned my back and saw my son running happily towards me. Both of us were very tired and we decided to just walked. The were some blister on his foot too. By the time I reached the finished line, the clock was 7.10 am. I completed the half marathon around 2 hrs 40 minutes which was not good. But anyhow, I managed to continue running non stop for about 18 km. before walking.

So, next year run is a must with new goal i.e RUN WITHOUT STOPPING BELOW 2 HR 30 MINUTES…HUA HUA HUA…